Monday, March 1, 2010

Derek Young from Exit133

This is the second time I have had the pleasure of listening to Derek The first time he spoke in class he was only working on Exit133. In just over a year Derek had opened up new opportunities for himself, it was interesting to hear how the economy had effected his business and how he needed to change his strategy. I think that is an important mindset to have if your having trouble with your business don’t just quit, if you really like what your doing then you will find a way to make the business work out. When Derek first started his presentation he went into a lot of detail about his past which was nice because you got to put a background story to why he is a entrepreneur. As it turns out he didn’t start Exit133 right out of college, Derek worked for REI for ten years before he was able to start his business.

When Derek went into how he received income I was intrigued to know more. What I got from what he said was a lot of the money he makes is not from Exit133 but from another business that is suite133 or a consulting business where he helps set up call centers. It would be hard for Derek to make an income off of Exit133 alone because he doesn’t charge a monthly fee to read the articles. Though he dose make a small income from the advertisements he has on Exit133 but the amount of money he makes off them is minimal. Really there is a problem with Exit133 and that is he is putting money out to the writers but he is not bringing in enough money to supplement his expenses. I think he should look to his other business of setting up call centers as his main business.

Though Derek does have a lot of donations for Exit133 supposedly dose supplement a lot of the expenses. If Derek is happy with how his businesses are running then he should do what ever he likes. I would like to start a business in the way future and I would hope that money is not the main driving factor. One thing I though was a little funny was Derek brought traffic to his website by accident it was because of Google and how it searched. Over all I enjoyed listing to Derek again and I hope that you bring him back in for another class. I don’t remember how many questions I had asked the guest speakers but it was a few.

No comments: